- 11/18/2016 Ahmad wins John and Janet McMurtry award
- 11/16/2016 A great news that our Wave Carpet idea, under the project name CalWave
won the second place in the Department of Energy Wave Energy Prize
- 05/17/2016 Louis graduated. Congratulations Dr. Couston! (Here is the video of hooding)
- 05/17/2016 Ben (MSc), Horan, Yoli, Samanvay, Abhinav, Siyu, Abhimanyu, Sri Krisha, Sugin, Matthew, Kevin, Bofan and Sahil (MEng) graduated. Congratulations to all!
- 05/05/2016 “CalWave Wave Carpet WEC – Prototype” team wins the “Best Project Presentation Audience Choice Award” in the Masters of Engineering Capstone Showcase hosted by UC Berkeley Fung Institute of Engineering Leadership on May 4, 2016. CalWave Wave Carpet WEC – Prototype team (M.Eng): 1) Sahil Kudroli 2) Matt Zebiak 3) Sugin Lou
- 04/22/2016 Our Wave Carpet project featured on Marine Technology Reporter (Download the April 2016 Issue, See Page 39)
- 03/18/2016 Our Wave Carpet project featured on Berkeley’s website front page (read the news article)
01/03/2016 A great news that our Wave Carpet idea, under the project name CalWave, was just announced (01/03/2016) as one of the 9 finalist for the Department of Energy “Wave Energy Prize”. We competed with 16 other teams qualified from the original 90 teams. The outcome was based on cross examination of experimental tests done at Iowa wave basin, and the modeling performed. To make the news more exciting, Berkeley’s project CalWave is THE first standing (with the combined score 6.4) among all teams.Congratulations to all members of the prize team and the entire project,prize team led by Marcus LehmannBryan, Christian, Daniel, Devin, Jack, Jan, Joel, Kevin, Nigel, Ninh, Sean, Shuangjiu, Simon, Thomas, and the Wave Carpet MEng students: Bofan, Kevin, Matt, Sahil Sri Krishna, Sugin,
- 02/22/2016 Qiuchen Guo wins “Ocean Technology Graduate Fellowship”
- 01/29/2016 Marcus Lehmann named to the 2016 “Forbes 30 under 30” for his work on the wave carpet [Link].
This is an amazing news, and a result of Marcus’ very hard work, persistence, perseverance, focus and sacrifices he made to get this work going.
- 11/18/2015 : Louis-Alexandre Couston wins “Frank and Margaret Lucas Scholarship“
- 12/14/2015 TAF Lab organizes the “Second Berkeley Workshop on Harvesting Renewable Energy” on Friday 18th 2015. The programm, including the list of speakers and topics can be found [here].
- 10/2/2015 Louis, Quichen and Reza’s paper “Fabry-Perot resonance of water waves” appeared in Physical ReviewE.
- 10/1/2015 Science news coverage on Retrograde turn of rolling rings [link]
- 9/25/2015 APS news coverage on Amir et. al. paper [link]
- 9/22/2015 Synopsis Physics coverage for Amir et. al. paper [link]
- 9/22/2016 Amir, Milad and Reza’s paper “Terminal Retrograde turn of rolling rings” appeared in Physical Review E [pdf].
- 9/9/2015 “Microsimmer-induced chaotic mixing” appeared in Journal of Fluid Mechanics
- 8/14/2015 Ocean Cloaking on the cover of American Scientist [link]
- 6/6/2015 Ahmad’s paper “Cloaking in shallow water via nonlinear media transformation” appeared in Journal of Fluid Mechanics [pdf]
- 3/1/2015 Loui’s paper “Landslide Tsunamis in Lakes” appeared in Journal of Fluid Mechanics [pdf]
- 10/01/2014 TAFLab’s Wave Carpet wins Foundry award.
- 9/16/2014 Yong and Reza’s paper “Asymmetric flexural-gravity lumps in nonuniform media,” appeared in Physics of Fluids (Vol.26, Issue 9). [pdf]
- 5/21/2014 TAFLab crowdfunding campaign was featured in California Magazine.
- 5/15/2014 Reza wins Hellmann Fellowship Award.
- 4/4/2014 Ben Zhang wins SURF Fellowship.
- 4/4/2014 Zach Lentz received SURF Rose Hills Fellowship.
- 4/4/2014 Louis Alexandre Couston received Graduate Division Block Grant Award.
- 3/5/2014 Ahmad Zareei received American Bureau of Shipping’s Ocean Technology Graduate Student Fellowship.
- 12/13/2013 Ryan Elandt’s paper, “Gravity Wave Lensing”, co-authored by Mostafa and Reza, was accepted for publication in Physical Review E.
- 10/10/2013 Marcus Lehmann won BERC ENERGY WEEK 2013 prize for a Poster on Wave Carpet Co-authored by Ryan, Henry, Mostafa and Reza.
- 08/14/2013 Yong’s work “Finite Depth Capillary-Gravity Dromions” has been accepted for publication in Physical Review E.
- 04/18/2013 Henry Pham receieved SURF/Rose Hills Fellowship for the coming summer.
- 03/05/2013 Riding the Wave: Our research on cloaking was a subject of an article on Berkeley Innovation magazine. (see online edition: Riding the waves)
- 03/03/2013 Our paper titled “Three dimensional Fully Localized Waves on Ice-Covered Ocean” was just accepted for presentation and full-paper publication in the proceeding of 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE 2013) in Nantes, France (from June 9 to 14, 2013).
- Feb. 2013 The paper “Dromions of Flexural-Gravity Wave” is now available online. [Link]
- Nov.2012 Our recent manuscript “Dromions of Flexural-Gravity Waves” is now in press in Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- July 2012 Professor Alam, a session organizer and chair for Ronald Yeung Honoring Symposium on Offshore and Ship Hydrodynamics (OMAE 2012, July 1-6, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) gave a talk titled “A Flexible Seafloor Carpet for High-Performance Wave Energy Extraction”. The associated paper (OMAE 2012-84034) is now published in the proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Artic Engineering (OMAE 2012).
- June 2012 Our paper “Nonlinear Analysis of an Actuated Seafloor-Mounted Carpet for a High-Performance Wave Energy Extraction” is published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences.
Also check out Focus BBC August 2012 issue. Refer to page 20, under “This Month Top Science Stories from around the Globe”. Link to the article (requires subscription).
- May 2012 Professor Alam delievered an invited talk for the American Bureau of Shipping’s first International Technology Forum.
- May 2012 Ritwik Gosh (PhD student – TAFLab) was awarded American Bureau of Shipping’s Ocean Technology Graduate Fellowship for 2012-2013.
- Feb 2012 Our paper “Cloaked in Stratified Field” is published in Physical Review Letters .